Orange-Ginger Carrot Soup with Grilled Cheese Triangles
This bright, flavorful soup is perfect for the last cold days before spring.
Total Time 65 minutes
Calories per serving 425
– 1 tsp olive oil
– 1/4 med onion, chopped
– 1 med carrot, chopped
– 1/4 tsp ginger root, peeled and diced fine
– 2/3 cup water
– 1/8 cup orange juice
– 1/8 tsp orange zest (optional)
– dash salt
– 1 Tbsp plain nonfat Greek yogurt
– 1/8 tsp ground cumin
– 2 slices whole wheat bread
– 1 spray of cooking spray
– 2 oz reduced fat Mexican blend cheese, shredded
– 1/2 med tomatoes
– Heat the oil in a large saucepan and sauté the chopped onion 8 – 10 minutes or until translucent and tender. Add the chopped carrot and ginger and sauté 4 to 5 minutes more.
– Add water, orange juice, 1/8 tsp. orange zest (optional) and salt. Simmer for 30 minutes or until the carrots are tender.
– Allow soup to cool a few minutes, then puree in a blender or food processor. Return to the pot to reheat.
– In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, orange zest, and cumin for soup topping (one Tbsp per serving).
Directions: Grilled Cheese Triangles
– Heat sauté pan on medium high heat, spray with pam.
– Place one slice of bread in pan, sprinkle with cheese, add thinly sliced half tomato and top with second slice of bread.
– Cover with a pan lid to keep heat in and brown; turn sandwich over and brown on second side.
– Cut into four triangles and serve with soup and yogurt topping.
Curves Complete: Enjoy on Phase 1 or 2
Calories 425, Fat 18 g, Protein 23g, Carbohydrate, 45 g, Fiber 7 g, Sodium 800 mg