Grilled Chicken with Cabbage and Fennel Pasta
Enjoy this flavorful pasta with a kick of spice and topped with grilled chicken.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1⁄2 medium onion
- 1⁄2 large carrot
- 1⁄2 celery stalk
- 1⁄2 whole garlic clove
- 1 cup Savoy or Nappa cabbage
- 1⁄4 cup reduced sodium chicken broth / stock
- 3 tbsp fennel
- 1⁄2 tbsp parsley
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- 2 oz dry whole wheat pasta
- 1⁄2 tbsp walnuts
- 1⁄2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 5 oz chicken breast
- Toast walnuts: Heat the oven to 350°F. Arrange walnuts in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, checking frequently. Set toasted walnuts to the side.
- Dice onion, carrots, and celery; mince garlic and shred cabbage. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add the onion, carrots, and celery and sauté for 10 to 15 minutes. Add the garlic and cook an additional couple of minutes.
- Add shredded cabbage, chicken stock, and thinly sliced fennel. Cover and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, or until soft. Remove from the heat. Add parsley and red pepper flakes and stir again.
- Meanwhile, grill chicken, cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Drain the pasta and place in a large serving bowl. Add the cabbage mixture and toss. Top with the walnuts and Parmesan and sliced chicken.