Cabbage Soup with Brown Rice Recipe
This is not your mother’s cabbage soup! To save time, buy pre-sliced raw carrots, frozen or fresh chopped onions, and jarred minced garlic.
1/2 tsp canola oil
4 oz 95% lean ground beef
1/3 cup medium bell pepper
3 tbsp large carrots
1 1/2 tbsp medium onion
1/4 tsp caraway seeds
1/4 tsp dried marjoram
1/2 cup cabbage
1/2 garlic clove
1/4 cup diced tomatoes with juice
1 1/2 tbsp raisins
1/4 tsp paprika
2 1/2 tbsp dry brown rice
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup water
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot. Add the ground meat and sauté for 6 to 7 minutes. Drain off the fat.
- Add the chopped bell peppers, sliced carrots, chopped onion, caraway seeds, and marjoram and sauté for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add the shredded cabbage and minced garlic, cover, and cook an additional 10 minutes.
- Add water, tomatoes, raisins, paprika, salt, and black pepper. Simmer for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook brown rice according to package instructions.
- Serve cabbage soup with 1/3 cup cooked brown rice.
Love our Cabbage Soup with Brown Rice recipe? The Curves Nourish Blog is your go-to place for healthy soup recipes like our take on traditional Minestrone Soup, Beef, Black Bean and Tomato Soup, and the nutrient-packed Creamy Broccoli Soup & Salad with Chicken.