5 Creative Swaps for your toughest cravings
One of the challenges of following a healthy eating plan is working through your cravings. While some of us crave sugary drinks and desserts, others crave salty or starchy snacks. But there’s no need to let those temporary urges derail your progress. Try these 5 creative swaps for your toughest cravings and you’ll cruise right on by those rough patches like a pro.
Craving: Apple pie
Sometimes our cravings are as much about temperature and texture as they are about the flavours themselves. Here’s a great alternative to apple pie and ice cream that covers all the bases.
1/2 apple, peeled and diced
1/4 cup water
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 cup non fat natural Greek yoghurt
1/4 cup granola
1. Place the apples and water in a microwave safe bowl and microwave 30 seconds at a time until the apples are crisp tender. Drain and cool slightly.
2. Stir in the cinnamon and granola and spoon mixture atop the yoghurt. Enjoy!
Craving: Fruity margarita
If you’re craving a cocktail, try this watermelon margarita mocktail instead. You’ll love the flavours and won’t miss the alcohol.
1-1/2 cup watermelon, cubed with seeds removed
1 tbsp lime juice
1 cup ice
Place all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth. Enjoy!
Try this healthy version of pizza to help satisfy your craving without extra carbs and calories.
1 Roma tomato, seeded and diced
1 low carb tortilla
1/2 cup chopped free veggie toppings (green capsicum, onions, mushrooms)
2 tbsp mozzarella, grated
1. Preheat oven to 220°C.
2. Use a fork to smash the tomato pieces and spread them over the tortilla.
3. Add the veggies and then sprinkle with the mozzarella.
4. Place tortilla directly on oven rack and bake for 8 – 10 minutes, or until the edges of the tortilla are brown and cheese is bubbly. Enjoy!
Chocolate is high on the cravings list for many women but luckily, it’s an easy one to satisfy. Try this low-calorie café mocha for a luscious way to get your chocolate fix.
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp Stevia, or to taste
2 tbsp skim milk
1 cup hot decaffeinated coffee
1. Mix the cocoa powder and Stevia (or another sugar substitute) in a cup. Add the milk and stir well to remove all lumps.
2. Add coffee and stir well. Enjoy!
Craving: Potato Chips
This baked kale chip recipe may become your new go-to salty craving crusher.
1 bunch fresh kale, thoroughly washed and dried
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp mixed dried herbs or spices
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Remove kale leaves from stems and tear into bite-sized pieces.
3. Spread in a single layer on baking sheet and drizzle with the olive oil.
4. Sprinkle with the seasoning and bake for about 10 minutes until kale is crispy and edges are slightly brown. Enjoy!