Grilled Chicken Breast & Avocado Sandwich with Thyme Sweet Potatoes
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 4 oz chicken breast
- 1 slice Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 oz Romaine lettuce
- 1/4 medium avocado
- 1/8 medium tomato
- cooking spray to taste
- 1 medium sweet potato (about 6 oz)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 whole garlic clove
- 1 tbsp thyme
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Peel and cut sweet potato into 1½ inch pieces. Mince garlic clove.
- Combine sweet potato, olive oil, minced garlic clove, thyme, salt, and red pepper flakes in a large bowl and toss until well coated.
- Arrange potato slices in single layer on heavyweight rimmed baking sheet or in 13×9 inch baking dish. Place on top rack of oven and roast until tender and slightly browned, about 40 minutes.
- Sauté/grill chicken breast in a pan sprayed with cooking spray. Start when potatoes have cooked for about 30 minutes.
- Top chicken breast with slice of cheese just before removing from heat.
- Spread avocado on bread if desired. Assemble a sandwich with bread, chicken breast, lettuce, tomato. Serve with roasted sweet potatoes on the side.
Pepper jack cheese can be substituted with a slice of low-fat cheddar or mozzarella with calories of 75 or less and fat grams of 6 or less if desired. Try with other “free foods” like red bell peppers for variety.