Spicy Two Bean Chili
Try this winter-warmer Spicy Two Bean Chilli to pep up your week.
7 oz canned diced tomatoes with juice
4 oz cooked black beans
4 oz cooked kidney beans
1/2 tsp chipotle chilies in adobe sauce
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp canola oil
1/4 whole medium onion
3/4 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1 whole garlic clove
1/3 cup corn
1/2 tsp fresh cilantro
1/2 oz low fat shredded cheddar cheese
1. Puree tomatoes and their juice in a food processor until slightly chunky.
2. Chop onion and mince garlic.
3. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until simmering. Add onion, chili powder, cumin and cook for 5 minutes or until the onion softens.
4. Meanwhile, drain and rinse beans. Mince chipotle chilies.
5. When the onion is soft, add the garlic and stir for 30 seconds.
6. Add the tomatoes, beans, chipotle chilies and sugar to the Dutch oven. Bring to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, thaw corn in the microwave (if using frozen corn) and chop cilantro.
8. After chili has thickened, add corn and cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Top with shredded cheddar cheese.